[Advaita-l] Ramana's method

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 00:19:22 CDT 2012

Hari Om, Sanjay ji,

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Sanjay Srivastava <sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> In my experience with many vedanta teachers the emphasis given to
> shravaNa, manana and nididhyAsana is exactly in the reverse order with
> shravaNa getting the highest importance followed by manana and
> practically no emphasis on nididhyAsana.

IMHO, this is like saying that information of whether a necklace is lost is
given most importance, followed by searching for it, than holding onto that
necklace when found. The importance is considering whether or not the
necklace is known to be lost, is actually lost or was it seen at all. There
is no need to search for it if it is seen to be there. You just need to
hold on to it safely as in niddhidyAsana. But if its (felt to be) lost,
then searching or mananA is necessary. Without even knowing that its
(seemingly) lost, i.e. without shravaNa, no amount of trying to locking the
lost necklace in niddhidhyAsana is useful. You need to know that its
(seemingly) lost by shravaNa, search for it with mananA, and hold on to it
when found in niddhidhyAsana. So, the tradition considers all of these as
equally important with variance based on adhikArA of the mumukshu.

gurupAdukArpaNamastu,
--praveen