[Advaita-l] Ramana's method

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Oct 9 23:37:23 CDT 2012

In my experience with many vedanta teachers the emphasis given to
shravaNa, manana and nididhyAsana is exactly in the reverse order with
shravaNa getting the highest importance followed by manana and
practically no emphasis on nididhyAsana.

praNAms Sri Sajay Srivatsava prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I dont think we have to read too much and take sri mahA periyal's words
literally.  shravaNaM, mananaM and nidhidhyAsana are the direct sadhana-s
( sAkshAt sAdhana-s) prescribed for the brahma jignAsa.  If the sAdhaka
does not get jnAna through shravaNa he has to continue his sAdhana in
manana and nidhidhyAsana.  Ranking one over the other is not at all
warranted here as all the three sAdhAna-s are equally important for the
sAdhaka-s.  Shankara while recommending these sAdhana-s does not rank
these sAdhana-s one over other, he simply says if mere shravaNa does not
get you mOksha you have to do subsequent sAdhana-s like manana and
nidhyAsana.  Some relevant observations of shankara we can find in tattu
samanvayAt sUtra bhAshya (1-1-4) and in phalAdhyAya i.e. 4th adhyAya of
sUtra.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar