[Advaita-l] Ishwara Turiya?

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 02:58:37 CDT 2012

On Tuesday, March 13, 2012, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Rajaram Venkataramani

> I would like to bring to the notice of the followers of this thread that
> though the discussion of 'what constitutes the body of Ishwara as avatara'
> is not connected to this thread, it has come up incidentally.  Readers who
> are interested to know what positions other Advaita Acharyas hold on this
> matter may read the commentaries of Dhanapati Suri
('bhAShyotkarShdeepikA')
> who has criticised Madhusudana's views on BG 4.6 by showing how it stands
> opposed to Shankara's commentary.  I would like to stop with this on this
> rather unimportant topic in Advaita.  It is sufficient to know that
> whatever view an Advaita Acharya has taken, in Advaita it is anAtmA.  It
is
> dRshya.  It is mAyika.  Therefore unreal.

I am aware of Dhanapati Suri - will come to that later. He is later in date
to Madhusudana. That is why I asked you to cite an Advaita acharya before
Madhusudana who holds the view that Ishwara's form is panchabautika.
Paramaya and Ishwara should be called unreal.

>> As I stated, you have confused between Virata, Hiranyagarbha, Avyakta and
>> Ishwara. You are negating Ishwara whereas Mandukya only asks you to
negate
>> Ishwara.
>>

> I am unable to make out anything from the above.

I meant to say instead negating Virata, Hiranyagarbha and Avyakta, you are
negating Ishwara. Once you have accepted Him as the Self, how can you
negate Him unless you become a Buddhist?