[Advaita-l] Did Madhusudana Saraswati Reconcile Bhakti and Advaita?

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 07:35:55 CST 2012

As you know, Sringeri etc. are regarded as traditional because the line of
teachers trace back to Sankara, which is not the case with RK Mutt. But I
dont think a person must belong to a traditional mutt to be respected for
his good qualities or work. I have a great regard for Swami Gambhirananda
for his tireless work in translating the works of Sankara and Gudartha
Dipika. It would not have been possible without the support of RK Math.

The risk with non-traditional mutts is that their teaching does not align
to the tradition. Having said that, traditional scholars *may, I am not
saying they do, * argue that Krishna and His form are different or that
Bhakti is not an ultimate goal, without studying Madhusudana, who closely
follows Sankara. Now, they pose a greater risk because the blind followers
will tend to believe that their view as authentic. This is where the
neutral contribution of academic scholars such as Prof. Lance Nelson is
important. Through objective study, he has made the views of Madhusudana
public.