[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Sarma KV sarmakv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 09:37:32 CST 2011

To *add* to what Sri Sriram told:

*Satarudreeyam* occurs in *yajurvEdam* which is the central of the vEda-s
which specifically has the *swarUpa* of all yajna karma-s. Siva is vEda
swarUpa and *Satarudreeyam* extolls His Glory. Hence the *nyaasam*
*invokes*Rudra as the
*swarUpa* of the 6-fold essentials of *yajna-karma*-s as follows:
1. *agnihOtraatmanE* - the central aspect of all *Srouta karma*-s viz. *
agnihOtram* (implying/indicating nitya *agnihOtram* that is agni-dEva's
essential existence.)
2. *darSapUrNamaasaatmanE* - *darSapUrNamaasa* is name for the special "*
ishTi*-s" which are performed on *amaavaaSya* and *pUrnIma*, in addition to
nitya *agnihOtram*.
3. *chaatRmaasyaatmanE* - *chaatRmaasya*-s are performed once in every 4
months. These are also *ishTi*-s but bigger than the fortnightly ones.
4. *nirUDha-paSubandhaatmanE* - *paSubandha* is being mentioned here (the *
swarUpa* of which is also Rudra.) *paSubandha* is not a *yaaga/ishTi* on
its own; for example like *nitya agnihOtram*, one doesn't perform a
periodic *paSubandha*. It is a constituent of another bigger *kratu*-s like
*jyOtishTOma*. As per "*vasantE vasantE jyOtishaa yajEta*" (perform
jyOtishTOma every year) it occurs annually.
5. *jyOtishTOmaatmanE* - *jyOtishTOma* or the first of the "major"
jaagam-s; also called *sOmayaagam*. This (and other higher yajna-s)
involves a prescribed number of *paSu-bandha*-s. Highest among them is *
vaajapEyam*.
6. *sarva-kratvaatmanE* - the last of the nyaasa-s mentions that rudra is
the swarUpa of ALL kratu-s.

Please note the gradual expansion of the gamut of the kratu-s as the
nyaasam proceeds - starting with the most basic aspect, the agnihOtram and
culminating in the summation of all kratu-s.

I doubt that the nyaasam means in some way that Satarudreeya paaraayaNa (or
otherwise its utilization) "confers" the benefit of performance of these
kratu-s. nyaasam is invocation of the respective aspects of the dEvata.
For example, in other mantra-s, say *gaayatri* when we say "*varENyam
vishNvaatmanE*" - does it "confer" vishNutva on the one who performs the
japa?

Satarudreeya has got *its own benefits*. Veda-s are devoid of redundancy;
if one ritual gives results of another, the vaidika mata would not hold the
two!

-Sarma

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Namaste
>
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Rajaram Venkataramani
> <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As animals have a well developed nervous system, they suffer a lot of
> pain
> > and fear when killed. So, we should abstain from meat. It does not matter
> > if there is sin or not associated with it. Even if it is in our nature
> > to desire meat, we should abstain from it for the welfare of the animals.
> >
> > Some scientific studies show that small quantities of alcohol have health
> > benefits. But many of the processes of making alcohol involve use of
> animal
> > products. So, if one takes alcohol it should be from a vegan or
> vegetarian
> > process. But alcohol has the ability to get one addicted and obsessive
> > reliance on external stimulants should be avoided. Also, our traditional
> > systems are based deep insights and we should conduct a detailed study on
> > the neurological impact of alcohol - even in small quantities. It may
> > reveal that the impact on our ability to discriminate or cause plasticity
> > of the brain.
> >
> > There has to be regulation of carnal pleasures through an early marriage.
> > It definitely ensures social stability. But a grahastha should be
> > physically fit and well versed in kama shastra so that he can enjoy in
> > accordance with dharma. Without learning control of breadth and the mind,
> > the right kind of food and life style etc., the quality of sex is
> > degrading.
> >
> Fertility of modern males is going down because of pollution and
> drinking alcohol, smoking and allopathic medicines. Alcohol can cause
> impotence also. Naturally sex performance is poor. For females the
> fertility decreases rapidly with aging. This is why in olden days they
> used to get girls married very early.  Ayurvedic herbs like
> Ashwagandha  and Shilajit for males and Shatavari for females may be
> used. Kapikacchu is good for improving fertility of both males and
> females.
>
> From science point also meat eating is bad because the animals are
> high in the food chain. The effect of pesticides and dangerous
> chemicals will get multiplied in higher food chain levels. From eating
> vegetables at the bottom of the food chain the bad effect of
> pesticides and chemical fertilizers will be minimized.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> -Venkatesh

नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकम्।
शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः ।।

धन्योस्मि
- श्यामसुन्दर शर्मा
http://anantavaram.blogspot.com