[Advaita-l] Application of pUrvamImAMsA nyAya to advaita vedanta - English summary

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 01:37:20 CST 2011

Namaste

SrI Anand ji wrote:

Extending this to cognitions that we gain from
different sources, the later cognition is more powerful than an earlier
one, which stands negated by the later cognition. This is exactly the
argument of AnandabodhAchArya, an advaitin, in his PramANamAla. From
perception, there arises a cognition of the reality of the world. However,
through the study of the upaniShads, the cognition of nonduality arises,
which sublates the earlier cognition. This is an application of the
apaccheda nyAya of the mImAMsakas.

My question: The earlier pramA is not always negated by the later one.
For example, if a person who is entering a desert for the first time,
is told by an Apta,  that he is liable to see the optical illusion
called a mirage in the desert. ( in other words, through sabda pramANa
in the from of Apta-vAkya).  Later, he may see the mirage-water but
dismisses this new cognition derived from pratyaxa as bhrama; the
earlier cognition (sabda-janita pramA) alone prevails.  In the
inter-play between pramANa-s, it does not seem always true that the
later pramA alone always prevails ; what is the criterion to decide
where the apaccheda nyAya applies ? Is it only in the context of vedic
mantra exegesis ? Even there we do find mantropaniShads expounding
j~nAnaM followed again by karma kANda as in the case of
IshAvAsyopaniShat?

Om

Raghav
Om