[Advaita-l] Application of pUrvamImAMsA nyAya to advaita vedanta - English summary

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 10:45:45 CST 2011

Many thanks Shri Anand ji for such a nice presentation of the apaccheda
nyAya.  I had always wanted to read about this nyAya in such an
easy-to-understand form.  While on a conversation with Sri Mani Dravid
SastrigaL I came to know that even the very first 'lapse' is a case of 'the
later occurrence negating the earlier state'.  First the yaga is commenced
with the 'hope' that there will be no lapses.  This 'hope' is considered to
be a mithyAjnAnam by virtue of the lapse that occurs to falsify the 'hope'
entertained at the commencement.  In fact, it seems, the mImAmsA texts use
the term 'mithyAjnAnam'.  I even heard that the words शुक्तिका हि
रजतवदवभासते that Shankaracharya writes in the adhyAsa bhAShya are found in
an early mImAmsaka text.

Warm regards,
subrahmanian.v