[Advaita-l] The Three guNas and the Atman

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 07:56:25 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> So, the absolute liberated state (triguNAteetatva)  can possible ONLY
> after 'maraNa' of this bhautika shareera (physical body) is it?? mukhya
> mukti can happen ONLY after shareera pAta & whatever mukti we get when
> jeeva is sashareeri is kevala gaUna !!??  I think this is what the
> impression we get from the above statement.

Namaste.

The above impression is erroneous.  It does not follow from what i have said
in the post.  One should note this verse carefully:

For the Lord has taught in the Bh.Gita:
*न तदस्ति पृथिव्यां वा*  दिवि देवेषु वा पुनः।
सत्त्वं प्रकृतिजैर्मुक्तं यदेभिः स्यात्त्रिभिर्गुणैः॥१८- ४०॥
There is no entity in all the three worlds that is free from the prakRiti
made of three guNa-s.

This shows that the products of prakRti are there in all the three worlds.
The body-mind of the Jnani is a product of prakRti and is not free of guNa-s
and will be subject to prakRti dharma despite his jnanam. That alone is what
is meant by my words that you have quoted.  The Atman is ever guNAteeta and
even when alive the Jnani is guNAteeta.

> But we have to note that when
> krishna says : guNa guNeshu vartante, nishtraiguNyO bhavArjuna etc. his
> intention was not to explain the state of maraNOttara or dehAntara...A
> jnAni is ashareeri, guNAteeta (ever detached from prakruti) only though he
> is looking alive with body-mind complex.  ihaiva brahmaiva san
> brahmApyeti, na shareera pAtOttarakAlaM clarifies shankara in bruhad
> bhAshya.

Every follower of ShAnkara Advaita knows this elementary tenet that in
Advaita mukti is even while alive. The Atman of even the ajnAni is
guNAteeta/guNarahita.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v