[Advaita-l] Shankara,Madhusudhana and Vivekananda

Srikanta Narayanaswami srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 08:11:52 CDT 2011

Sadara pranAmam,
Swami Vivekananda was of opinion that bhagavatpada has
twisted the interpretation of BG mantras which  promoted
bhakthi in adwaticview.This apparent defct has been successfully
countered by Madhusudanasarawathi.This is what I could understand
from the study of both the bhashyas.
Namaste.
sivakumarr.
What has Vivekananda said about the twisting of the interpretation of BG mantras,and what has Mdhusudhana  written on them.Because,Madhusudhana and Vivekananda lived at diferent periods.Besides,both Madhusudhana and Vivekananda belonged to Bengal which was called as Gauda Desha during Shankara's time.After,Gaudapada and Shankara many centuries have elapsed before Madhusudhana and Vivekananda came into the picture.After Shankara,Bhaskara,Ramanuja,Nimbarka,Vallabhacharya and later Chaitanya,spread their panthas.Vivekananda who was born in a Kayastha family(Kshatriyas) has imbibed in him these backgrounds from his parents.All these must be studied before coming to any conclusion.Before Vivekananda came,Bhakthi pantha was in vogue in Bengal.Even Ramakrishna  was a Bhaktha and a Jnani,as we see he was a devotee of Kali,and used to go into Samadhi and see kali in his samadhi.
N.Srikanta.