[Advaita-l] Vivekananda and Shankara.

Srikanta Narayanaswami srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 07:54:23 CDT 2011

Can you pl. cite reference to Swami Vivekananda's works where he said
Sankara twisted the meaning of BG mantras to promote advaitic view?
Does he mean advaita is contrary to bhakti? More than his views, I'd
be keen from my research point of view to know his reasons for saying
Sankara twisted the meaning.
Vivekananda lived in the beginning of 19 th century,whereas shankara lived in the 7 th century.Shankara was a Parivrajaka sanyasi in the lineage of our ancient Gurus likeĀ  Gaudapada,Govinda Bhagawath Pada,etc.But,Vivekananda though he took Parivrajaka Sanyasa did not write prakarana granthas like the above.Though he has written many books on vedanta in English he cannot be compared with the above Gurus.Moreover,we see a lot of emotion in his writings.He lived at a time when India was in the throes of alien rule.Truly he belonged to the generation of freedom fighters who sacrificed their dear lives for the sake of the country.This bllod was flowing in him which was boiling to get the yoke of his motherland off,like Aurobindo.HeĀ  can apt be called a Vira Sanyasi.
N.Srikanta.