[Advaita-l] विशिष्टतिथयः Special days

Sumitha Ramachandran sumitha.rama at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 04:21:04 CDT 2011

Namaste.
             Today is a special day as it is Pradosha.The day for Lord Shiva.
Some fast on this day, like some who do on Ekadasi days.
The main purpose of observing vratas on special days is to  be in Bagavad Smararanam atleast on those days. This is one form of Tapas.
Tapobhihi ksheena papaanaam......... says Sri. Shankara in Atma Bodha.
Once it becomes an abhyasa (training the body and mind in the seva of Bhagawan), then slowly it must be extended to all the days in the lifetime.
   Vratas must be observed atleast on special days like Shivarathri, Sri RamaNavami, Krishna Janmashtami, Vinayaka chathurti, Navarathri and Vaikunta Ekadasi every year. It is said observing Ekadasi vrata is the greatest form of Tapas.
Savithri (Maasi Nonbu) and Varalakshmi Vratas are followed by some Grihinis according to their family tradition.

Skanda sashti vrata , chathurthi vrata and pradosha vratas (either one ) is observed by some with a samkalpa of karya sidhhi.

 Bhagawad Smarana is the Bhagawad Prasada we obtain on all these special days......

regs,
Smt . Sumitha