[Advaita-l] Jnana and ajnana (Bhakti vs. Jnana)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jul 6 00:13:12 CDT 2011

I'd like to move on with developing my understanding of bhakti and jnana
in advaita please.

praNAms Sri Rajaram prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I think by this time, from the various replies from learned prabhuji-s,
you might have realized that atleast in advaita vedAnta,  'bhakti' is not
a separate mArga & ranking between bhakti & jnAna cannot be done as these
are not mutually exclusive. To put it in a more clear terms, there is no
mArga called bhakti mArga ( as a separate means) for mOksha.  geetAchArya
makes it amply clear that : lokesmin dvividhA nishTA purA prOktA
mayAnaghaH jnAna yOgena sAMkhyAnAM karmayOgena yOginAM..And mOksha is
through jnAna only there is no other means taitireeya AraNyaka insists
this : nAnyaH paNthA ayanAya vidyate.  Even if we pursue bhakti mArga
(treating this as a separate mArga & superior to jnAna) ultimately, in
that mArga also the propitiated devata should bestow you 'jnAna or
paramArtha jnAna' to realize your svarUpa.  So, the conclusion is there is
no mOksha without jnAna.  jnAni is Atma of even paramAtma..jnAnI tvAtmaiva
me mataM..asserts geetAchArya affectionately.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar