[Advaita-l] Jnana and ajnana (Bhakti vs. Jnana)

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 00:04:24 CDT 2011

On 6 July 2011 10:09, Rajaram Venkataramani <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there  sakshi ajnana? :) I don't think you get it though you claim
> to be smarter than Vyasatirtha and Madhusudana. If it makes you happy,
> feel free to hold that opinion.
>

>From where did you come to this conclusion? I was quoting the opinion of a
scholar who is familiar with the medieval polemical works (the
pUrvapakSha-s, that is), and this mail was meant for Subbu-ji, not you.

And if at all, it is madhusUdana who would have had a gala time refuting his
pUrvapakShI-s constructs using the core concepts of advaita.

Yes, sAkShI aj~nAna is nonsensical just as absolute asat. The relative
j~nAna/aj~nAna of a pramAtA are premised on the sAkShI just as the relative
existence/non-existence of objects are premised on the sat that is brahman.
This is the whole meaning behind brahman being the substratum for the jagat.

For that matter, I don't think you get it either.

> I'd like to move on with developing my understanding of bhakti and
> jnana in advaita please. I'm interested in the opinions advaitins held
> around the time of sankara. It will allow me to compare and contrast
> with what Madhusudana wrote. Thanks.

Nobody prevented you from going ahead with your pet project.