[Advaita-l] Adhyaropa-apavada nyaya

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 10:32:49 CST 2011

> Perhaps,my earlier posting is misleading regarding the above topic.I am not
> saying that the nyaya is an invention of Sri.Shankara.What I said was,the exact
> statement "Iti sampradayavidah vadanti-Ahyaropa-apavada nyayabhyam nishprapancam
> prapancyata"--this statement is not found in the scrptures,though this nyaya is
> adopted.
> In his translation of the Upanishad bhashyas,Brahmasutra bhashya and the
> Bhagawadgita bhshya, His Holiness Sri.Sri.Sachidanandendra Saraswathi Swamiji of
> Holenarsipur,hs put a question mark(?) after this statement.I request the
> respectable readers to note this.

This means that the original source of this quotation is unknown; that is all.
Being attributed to a sampradAyavit, it is obviously a statement of some
unknown pUrvAcArya, in some text that has not survived. There are many
other such instances in the history of the darSana literature - the source
texts have not survived, but we know of them via quotations in texts that
are still available.

Regards,
Vidyasankar