[Advaita-l] Anantaa vai vedaah

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Aug 31 01:20:33 CDT 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Venkata sriram P wrote:

> The mantra darshana bhAga of Brahmarishi Daivarata is called
> Chandodarshana.  The entire darshana is in the form of
> vedic intonations with 3 svaras.  I have the entire
> copy of the mantra darshanas which resonate with the
> rg vedic mantra / brahmana bhaga.

I have wondered about this.  Given that the grammar and intonation of
Vedic is explained in full in Panini and the pratishakyas, a sufficiently
skilled person could compose "Vedic-style" suktas  I see that some people
have done exactly that.

> What is wrong with it and in what way Ganapati Muni &
> Daivarata (aka Ganapati Bhatt of Gokarna) differ from
> ancient vedic seers?
>
> The mantra darshana can be done even in modern times and that
> is what they have displayed with their tapas.

You do not know in which manner the Rshis saw mantras.  You are assuming
it is by yogic means but that is by no means settled.  It could have been
because of their practice of yajna as mentioned in the purusha sukta.
There is a theory that soma was a hallucinogen which could have put the
Rshis into a suprasensory state.  In fact why even assume any virtue on
the part of the Rshis.  Some of them very unpleasant characters giving
shapa to people according to the stories about them.

The Rshis themselves did not call everything they thought and felt Veda.
For instance Yajnavalkya who was a mantradrashta by the favor of the Sun
also is the author of a dharmashastra.  In the introductory part of that
work he is acclaimed as a "yogishwara" yet it is called yagnavalkya smrti
not shruti.

And then big practical problem is that when shastra is replaced by
whatever ones pet guru has said (and no two people will agree on which
gurus are authoritative) objectivity goes out of the window.  The winner
will be the one with the best PR department not necessarily the most
enlightened.  The reason Mimamsakas pushed this doctrine of apaurusheyatva
so hard in the first place is to put the focus on the text not the author.