[Advaita-l] apaurusheyatva of veda-s

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 05:36:32 CDT 2011

Conclusion and and over all Summary of the thread (from my side with some
rephrasing done to posts without any real change in the idea presented.
please see Sri Vidyasankarji's emails separately since they are relevant in
toto.).
Before coming to the summary about apaurusheyatvam -

Sri kuntimaddi Sadananda ji, you had indicated that "From my understanding,
requesting beforehand pardon for saying so, the questions that you are
posing are irrelevant because 1. None can give you an answer that will
satisfy you 2. No answer can be given that will satisfy you. "
Raghav: Well, as far as I am concerned, Sri Krishna Bhagavan, whose Janma
thithi falls today has given an answer in the shraddhA-traya-vibhAga-yoga of
gItA that satisfies me, by pointing out that not all shraddhA-s are to be
equally regarded and respected. There is sAttvik shraddhA and also tAmasika
shraddhA and he has also given thumbrules to assess for oneself whether a
given shraddhA is sAttvika or not. So, I am happy quite with that answer.

Regarding a somewhat elaborate summary - please excuse me in advance for its
length....
Bhaskarji: In the case of Vedic mantras, are the the tattvas (meaning, the
entities being referred to be the mantras)  apaurusheya or are the words
constituting the mantras conveying and explaining these tattvas also
apaurusheya ? Sri Vidyasankarji had earlier explained  "both these aspects
are apaurusheya, otherwise, we would have referred to Rishis as
tattva-dRShTAraH instead of as mantra-dRShTAraH and that moreover the
mImAMsaka will question you as to what you mean by a tattva that is over and
above the original verbal
expression in the veda. The mImAMsaka discards the notion that there is any
author of the veda - not human, not semi-divine, not rishi-s, not even
ISvara.
The veda just is, that is all, and it talks to us. Just as the universe just
is, and
presents itself to our perception."

Bhaskar: I like to make a conclusion in favour of apaurusheyatva of veda-s.

Raghav :Yes and We have to conclude in a way which is non-sectarian and
should avoid giving faith-based reasons and still manage to converge on the
apaurusheyatva of Veda. For example, currently, science enjoys enormous
prestige and claims to draw its validity from grounds other than faith, it
being based on realities of the physical world. Exploring along such lines,
How would it go if we were to say that - please do not say that the Veda is
just one more culturally-conditioned belief-system on this blessed planet -
rather it bears similarities to the scientific tradition. For example, just
as science progresses linearly and convergently even while relegating older
theories to a lesser status (even through paradigm shifts), the Veda too has
a knowledge hierarchy ( not just a set of non-verifiable beliefs) where (to
take one instance) the karma-kAnda is initially posited as the highest truth
and subseqently the jnAna kAndam is known as true. Based on such
similarities Vedic

knowledge enjoys atleast the same (arguably a much higher but at the very
least an equal)status as science; at the very least the Veda cannot be put
on par with the more problematic belief systems of the World. (I have
re-worded this mail considerably to better capture what I had in mind).

Siva Senani Nori ji: The short answer is: this is against what
SankarabhagavatpAda taught.
Many subscribe to this notion that a) Vedas are actually composed and
compiled by the families of Visvamitra, Vasistha etc.; b) that to impress
the seeker it is said to be apaurusheya; c) that one, while being
sympathetic to this particular aspect of pedagogy, is smart enough to see
through this deception; and d) that one would still accept all the good that
the Vedas have to teach, without bothering about the paurusheyatva of Vedas.
 - This, however, is a trap. If they are paurusheya, they cannot be
testimony. (We need) Sraddhaa - faith - which is a part of the Samaadi
shaTkam to study Vedanta.

Gopal.Gopinath ji :Most of the scientific laws and rules came about
either by induction or by (lower) intuition i.e., apara-jnAna, or, mostly, a
combination of these two means. Vedic knowledge etc. are in the realms of
higher intuitive revelations.   Since there is a hierarchy in these vedic
truths, they are backward compatible but
the vice versa need not always be true. It is intellectually stimulating but
....unfortunately, objective investigations do not work like that.   Any
kind of inductive analysis starts with a hypothesis of some sort and goes on
to prove or disprove it.  But while comparing facts/realities of two
entirely different levels (Vedic and scientific), it is dangerous to assume
right away that one has the final inference or knowledge about everything
that is being compared.If lucky, one whole life and if not many lives, need
to be spend to prove or disprove the hypothesis.  But to take the hypothesis
itself, as above, as the definitive conclusion is like choosing to be blind.
Instead, "if you carry the notion that Sruti might indeed be apaurusheya, it
might be useful" as Sri Siva Senani Nori suggested is  a brilliant
alternative for spiritual sanity.  This is from my own life experiences.

Sri Vidyasankar ji:  It is a misguided effort to think of either the
phenomenon or the verbal expression of a physical law (such as gravitation)
as apaurusheya. Rather, through proper application of pratyakshAdi
pramANa-s, we realize that gravitation is a property of physical objects,
though not directly perciptible to the senses. We would be better off using
another pair of words to talk about it, viz. purusha-tantra vs.vastu-tantra.
Whatever is vastu-tantra and not purusha-tantra is not necessarily
apaurusheya. If we were to start extending the applicability of
apaurusheyatva to anything and everything that is outside the realm of
purusha-tantra reality, then we would have to say that the oceans are
apaurusheya, the mountains are apaurusheya, the entire universe is
apaurusheya. If we do that, we have to remember that we have stepped out of
the original terms of reference for the
word apaurusheya. If we were to ask -

Q: Does the New Testament have author(s)?