[Advaita-l] Poor Parabrahman

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Aug 12 00:22:33 CDT 2011

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Gopal wrote:

> Dear sir(s),
>
> Is the ongoing madhwa-bashing any different in quality from
> shanakara-bashing? at least madhwa schools declare para-matha-khandana as
> part of their adhyathmic duties .. even though they do go overboard.

I would say there is a qualitative difference between "bashing" and
criticising the basher.

> Over the last few mails, the conversation has deteriorated to the extent to
> say that:
> " because Madhwa literature have no intellectual value.he has not written
> any Bhashyas worth the name,and it is said he discoursed only on
> "Aitareyopanishath"."

This is not to say the Advaita camp are free of any taint.  By and large
we don't engage in the blatent slander some others do, but we often engage
in condescension which is also bad for adhyatmic progress.  For instance
the assertion "Madhva literature have no intellectual value" is absolutely
ridiculous even if you believe as we do that it is ultimately misguided.
In fact the contributions of Vyas Tirth and his followers is one of the
pinnacles of Indian thought.  Moreover by vigorously challenging Advaita
doctrines, they forced us to reach new pinnacles.  I think a basic
understanding of Dvaita thought and the Dvaita critique of Advaita
Vedanta should be a required subject for any advanced sadhaka.

In the past there have been some Dvaitins who have joined this list just
to start arguments but there have been yet others who are comfortable in
their own beliefs but want to learn Advaita teachings to enhance their
understanding of their own philosophy.  I applaud such people for their
open-mindedness and think we should show them some hospitality by
refraining from egregious attacks.