[Advaita-l] Agnimukha question

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 15:42:35 CDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thank you. According to Granthas why do we draw these lines? Reasons?
> Inner meaning?
>
> Some documents said in North South lines middle line is first, West
> line is second and East line is third. In West East lines middle line
> is first South line is second and North line is third. But your order
> is not same.

As I said, the procedure I gave is the tamil-aapastamba proyogam. It may
vary by suutra and region. These things are not set in stone as some might
like to believe.

Drawing the middle line first (as you say above) is followed in the
udakashaanti in the Tamil-aapastamba tradition also. Each line is associated
with a devataa. Why the difference in order between the two - no idea.
Perhaps this is the bodhAyanIya prayogam - the udakashAnti is found in the
bodhAyana shlesha suutras.

Prayoga texts do not talk about inner meaning or any meaning for that
matter. That is to be gained by studying the brAhmaNa texts in the vedas.

Rama