[Advaita-l] Antaryami Vishnu & anya devatas.

krishna koundinya cosmonautkk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 00:23:17 CST 2010

Pranam to everyone.
                              Thank you for all your beautiful answers
on the topic.

Sri Subrahmanian ji,
 thank you for the information about the book.
1) But as a reply we see that a book written by "Sri Raghuvijaya
Tirtharu" named  "Sri Akshobhya Vijaya Vaibhava", wherein he has
answered the critics of Sri Akshobhya Tirtharu. This is the Khandana
grantha for the advaitha grantha which had tried to condemn Akshobhya
Tirtharu. The book contains 175 pages, with detailed analysis as to
how the vagvaada took place, and who were all the witness for the
vagvaada, with facts and figures. Atleast they claim so.
I did not read either of the books so I am ignorant of the topic..

2)  This episode is said to be seen in the book named “Vedantadeshika
Vaibhava prakashika” written by Doddayyacharya wherein it is claimed
that this actually took place.

3) Also there is an article in Mysore Archeological Survey Department
published in 1886 which claims that At Mulbagil in inscription in
Grantha characters on a boulder was brought to notice which appears to
record the fact of a refutation of Vidyaranya by Akshobhya Tirtha, in
some public dsputation. But the inscription has been lately purposely
destroyed, so that a few letters remain visible. The above account of
its contents is given by pesons who saw it before it was damaged and
who had made a copy of it.
Please enlighten me on these topics.

4) quoting from your words

"Atman has no form.  It is nitya, nirvikAri, sarvagataH.  That which is
infinite, all-pervading cannot have any form.  Any form will limit the
Atman".

I am a smartha brahmin & I think I understand some of the basic tenets
of advaita tradition. I am looking for strong vedic pramanas that
explicitly state these that " Atman has no form or gunas". Are there
any verses in the Vedas that state this directly ( without depending
on inferences).??

5) With my very limited knowledge  I was talking to some Madhva
followers, they told me that " NIrguna"="Nir" + Guna", which does not
mean that without attributes or gunas,  but it is something beyond
comprehension but attributes do stay. It could have been stated as
"Aguna" instead of nirguna.Now I am not good in sanskrit so I am at a
loss.

Now  I want to know is there a difference between "nirguna" & "aguna".
If so what is it?? and does nirguna actually means without attributes.
or is there anything else? like for eg" Nirvikara or Nirvikalpa etc.

6) I was also told that as an answer to Sri Madhusudana Saraswati
swamy's "Advaita Siddhi" , Sripad Ramachandra Tirtha wrote "Tarangini"
which refuted all the arguments in "Advaita Siddhi". I also heard of
"advaita tatva sudha" but they maintain that it is not up to the
standards or it is not a good refutation with some loop holes etc. How
should we understand this?

7) I found that Yoga Vashistha is being refuted while it is full of
advaitic content.
http://chiraan.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/refutation-of-yoga-vashishtha-sara/
How should we take this ??

Thank you