[Advaita-l] Traits of an Ideal Guru and an ideal disciple

Kathirasan K brahmasatyam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 07:52:33 CDT 2010

Namaste ji,

In the Upadeshasahasri too Shankara states the qualifications of a Guru:

The teacher is one who is endowed with the power of furnishing
arguments pro and con, of understanding questions and remembering
them, who possesses tranquility, self-control, compassion and a desire
to help others, who is versed in the scriptures and unattached to
enjoyments both seen and unseen, who has renounced the means to all
kinds of actions, who is a knower of Brahman and is established in it,
who is never a transgressor of the rules of conduct and who is devoid
of shortcomings such as ostentation, pride, deceit, cunning, jugglery,
jealousy, falsehood, egotism and attachment. He has the sole aim of
helping others and a desire to impart the knowledge of Brahman only.
(verse 6 - Prose section)

(translation by Swami Jagadananda)

Kathirasan