[Advaita-l] On the forms of Guru

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 01:08:27 CST 2010

"It is not from the standpoint of brahman but from the standpoint of
the jIva only. Just as the body is objectifiable, so is the mind."

This is just a little tricky.  The one who says 'my mind' viz. the ego is
also part of the mind!

Brahman is not an 'object' for jeevas like you and me.   For, such
objectification of Brahman would repudiate his absoluteness.  On the
contrary you and I as jeevas are His objects. How?  Because for you and I as
mithya, He is our adhishtaanam.  Without His support we cannot exist as
jeevas.  Therefore from our standpoint there is a relationship but same
cannot be said of Him.  We are His objects because He is our adhishtaanam.
But in our advidhya we turn around and say He is our object mutually.  The
Truth is He alone IS and there is no object for Him.

When Mukthi takes place this riddle is dissolved.

"Whether
one jIva can know another jIva's mind or not, s/he can still objectify
it. Even when a person A says "I cannot understand what is in B's
mind", it is still an objectification by A of B's mind."

Recognizing that you have a mind as much as I do is plain common sense.  No
one can disagree with that.

If I say "what is in your mind?", I am simply being curious as to what is
your intention.  Is it not?

Regards,
Anbu