[Advaita-l] A Perspective - 21 cont

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Mar 3 05:05:16 CST 2010

In that sense bhoutika sanyaasa is helpful if one can
take it. Otherwise maanasika sanyaasa is a must for withdrawing the mind
from dependence on things other than oneself for one's happiness.

praNAms Sri Sadananda prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Though I am not qualified to talk on both forms of sanyAsa (bhautika &
mAnasika) it appears to me  that shankara emphasizes the importance of
bhautika sanyAsa as against the practice of mAnasika saNyAsa by house
holders.  As we know, in the path of sAdhana we need the shama damAdi
sAdhana sampatti..shankara says in bhAshya that 'shama, dama' etc. are
possible & can be practiced true to its spirit only in atyAshrama but not
possible in 'anyAshrama'!!  shamadamAdeenAM cha Atmadarshana sAdhanAnAM
anyAshrameshu aupapatteH, 'atyAshramibhyaH'  parama
pavitraM......brahmacharyAdi vidyAsAdhanAnAM  cha sAkalyena atyAshramishu
upapatteH gArhastye asaMbhavAt...Elsewhere shankara also says for the
mumukshu, pArivrAjyam is kartavyaM ( it is an obligatory duty of the
mumukshu to take pArivrAjya saNyAsa)...if we see all these bhAshya
vAkya-s, we would get the impression that in sAdhana mArga, bhautika
saNyAsa with mumukshatva is the must for a brahma jignAsu...Anyway, since
I am an ordinary  house-holder (gruhastha), I would like to hear the
arguments that favours gruhasthAshrama sAdhaka-s.  Hence I would prefer
karmaphala tyAga saNyasa to sarva karma saNyAsa being a gruhastha:-))

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar