[Advaita-l] Knowledge, renunciation and varNASrama rules

Suresh Marur suresh.marur at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 02:15:54 CDT 2010

Dear Member participants,

I do not claim any knowledge of the "procedures" that are laid out for
sanyasa and who should or should not be allowed sanyasa. I however want to
argue from the point of the spirit of sanyasa and not the letter.
Occasionally, we get all caught up in procedure and miss the whole point.
The more I read this discussion, I feel we are beginning to lose the big
picture and debating syntax at the expense of semantics.

I am a grihastha and am pursuing advaita vedanta to get clarity of
understanding the upanishads and reconcile what the purport of the shastras
are. This is to the extent of finding the meaning of life and give it a real
foundation. The pusuit fo "worldly" life without the foundation of
spirituality makes it hollow. With spirituality and the background of simple
(samanya) dharma the same worldly life becomes fulfilling.

To me, sanyasa is not something that one can "decide" to do. It is like
asking should I be an engineer or a salesperson. The real question is what
is my "dharma" by which I simply mean, "What is that where I am at total
peace with myself and for which I will give up anything"? Posed such, the
question is not a question of my "right" to be an engineer or a salesperson
(or a sanyasi). Of course, everyone has the right to be whatever they want.
The question is do you REALLY WANT it from your being. At which point, it
becomes a choiceless transaction.

Sanyasa to me is a state of mind when there is nothing more important to the
individual than the pursuit of the truth and is ready to give up everything.
The giving up is again not conscious giving up. It appears to others that
the person is giving up. To the person himself, truth is of highest value
and giving up of "things" is actually dropping unwanted garbage. f this were
the state, I would argue that notwithstanding what anyone's or any
scripture's stated stand it, the person is ready for sanyasa and he WILL
find a guru who will guide him to brahmagyan.

All advaita is eventually a question of personal growth leading to total
annihilation of the ego and realizing "Aham Brahma Asmi" and living it every
moment. Sitting in agyana, we cannot ask the question on whether someone
else has the right to become a sanyasi. That question is for the individual
to ask. The only relevant question to ask is, "am I ready for sanyasa or
not".

- Suresh