[Advaita-l] Conversion story

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 05:31:26 CDT 2009

Namaste Satish

Distinguished Western scholars of Advaita Vedanta such as John Grimes, Greg
Goode and Dennis Waite have taken part on this web list over the last years.

Because Hinduism is both a faith and a philosophy intertwined in wisdom, it
is difficult to draw the line in practice between studying Hinduism for its
philosophy, and the 'ashram-tripping' of the 1960s onward..

There's no need for Hindus to make the distinction unless they wish.. but if
Westerners don't, it can lead to frictions.

However superficial 'New-Age-ism' may seem in the US, I'm optimistic that
eventually it can only lead to a deeper good or sacchidananda.

Michael