[Advaita-l] Sannyasa and Ramana (was Re: Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna)

Shyam shyam_md at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 24 07:39:32 CDT 2009

Pranams Bharadwaj-ji
To understand what Bhagwan Ramana meant we need to understand the term -Atiashrami - atiashrami means that stage of life which is glorious - "ati" refferring to "glorious". The only lifestyle that conforms to this description is that of the paramahamsa sannyasis - those who have given up all - including the external insignia of sannyasa such as the ochre robe kamandalu etc., have for their begging bowl their bare hands, etc.
It is glorified because of an abundance of shatsampatti and the most intense degree of detachment and absolute measure of desirelessness. So the meaning of the term "atiashrami" means a "paramahamsa sannyasi".

There can be no doubt that the Maharshi was right in saying so about Himself.

Hari OM
Shri Gurubhyoh namah
Shyam