[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (was Re: Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Oct 16 06:14:45 CDT 2009

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Sri Vidya prabhuji

No arguments about how jnAna will eventually dawn upon the doer of
nishkAma karma

bhaskar :

thanks for this clarification...however, there is a trend going here that
Atma jnAna can happen in any Ashrama but to get the jeevan mukti (it seems
they think that it is a subsequent state to Atma jnAna), a Ashrama called
saNyAsa is inevitable. They say janakAdi kings were not jeevanmukta-s coz.
they have not embraced saNyAsa formally..vidhura & dharmavyAdha-s jnAna is
only exceptional case etc.

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

but there is still a distinction to be appreciated.

bhaskar :

I think this distinction is visible only before the dawn of jnAna that too
in the eyes of ajnAni-s like me...Yes, we could see the nivrutti jnAni-s
and pravrutti jnAni-s on the same stage playing a different role...but as
far as the jnAni is concerned he is ekaM & adviteeyam.  A snoring sleeper
and a silent sleeper are in the eyes of waker only!! as far as sleeper is
concerned..it is ONLY sleep.

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

The jnAnI who seems to perform nishkAma karma is not really performing any
karma at all, because he has transcended karma. There are many documented
cases of other jnAnis who are seen to not perform any karma at all for
extended periods of time and who often get labeled as being mad, by
so-called "normal" society.

bhaskar :

That is beautifully said prabhuji..I whole heartedly agree with
you...pravruttena chet lOkasaMgrahArthaM nivruttena chet jeevamAtrArthaM
taM jnAnAgnidagdhakarmANaM says shankara in geeta bhAshya.  It may appear
that janakAdi kings were doing karma even after jnAna, but in reality they
were not!!  coz. as you rightly pointed out they have transcended the very
notion of katrutva and hence no karma for them.  I think with this view
only we can justify the somany (seemingly) rigorous activities of jnAni-s
& jagadguru saNyAsi-s in this lOka vyavahAra.

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

In contrast, someone who performs nishkAma karma because that is the
advice given by the Gita and the Guru has still not transcended karma. He
or she is on the path to cittaSuddhi,

bhaskar :

and as you know prabhuji this chitta shuddhi path prescribed through shama
damAdi sAdhana to vividisha saNyAsi-s also who is still an ajnAni..So, in
sanyAsa Ashrama also there are ajnAni doing sarva karma saNyAsa & pursuing
jnAna mArga.  And without jnAna mere embracing saNyAsa Ashrama would not
fetch us the mOksha says clearly shankara.  So, IMHO, advice given by
geeta & guru applicable to both karmayOgi-s and vividisha saNyAsi-s.

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

but I still fail to see how such karmaphala sannyAsa rUpa karma yoga =
jnAna nishThA

bhaskar :

A paripakva karma yOgi through chitta shuddhi would attain the jnAna
nishTha prabhuji. As you said above, a pravrutti jnAni though appears
doing nishkAma karma he is jnAna nishTha only coz. he is nirAshrita and
saMkalpavarjita.

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

Please also see how Sankara bhagavatpAda's bhAshya describes the jnAna
nishThA -AtmAnAtma-vishaya viveka vijnAnavatAM brahmacaryASramAd eva
kRtasaMnyAsAnAM vedAnta vijnAna suniScitArthAnAM paramahaMsa
parivrAjakANAM brahmaNy eva avastithAnAm - not only is the saMnyAsa of the
paramahaMsa parivrAjaka privileged here, there is the additional
qualification that such a person has renounced everything directly from
the student stage itself, without ever getting involved in family and
social life through marriage, firm in the knowledge of the vedAnta and
ever established in brahman.

bhaskar :

Yes prabhuji, and elsewhere shankara also gives his definition on 'parA
jnAna nishTha'..in geeta bhAshya 18-55 he says:  shAstrAchAryOpadeshena
jnAnOtpatti paripAkahetuM sahakAri kAraNaM buddhivishuddhatvAdi cha
apekshya janitasya kshetrajna paramAtma ekatvaM jnAnasya, katrutvAdikAraka
bhedabuddhi nibandhana sarva karma saMnyAsa sahitasya svAtmAnubhava
nishchaya rUpENa yat avasthAnaM sA parA jnAna nishThA ityuchyate. Ofcourse
here too shankara says sarva karma saMnyAsa sahitasya..and as you know
this sarvakarma saNyAsa is arthasiddhaM for a gruhasthAshrami also and for
external world he may doing the actions & in reality it is inaction only.

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

While I haven't been following every single detail in this debate on
sannyAsa and jnAna and mukti so far, I believe that this understanding of
what is called jnAna nishThA (along with the implicit adhikAra bheda for a
karmI, a karmayogI and a jnAnI) is getting lost in the discussion.

bhaskar :

I can understand the ahdikAra bheda for karmI..but Kindly let me know
where shankara discusses adhikAra bheda in karmayOgi-s and jnAni-s??
kindly let me know.

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

Yes, theoretically, jnAna can dawn at any time on anybody, but most
contemporary expressions of this stance always seem to devalue the
traditional sannyAsASrama. Why? Moreover, there is an intrinsic value
judgement being made against those who have formally renounced and wear
ochre. Why?

bhaskar :

No prabhuji, I donot know about others, but my contention here is not
that...How can I devalue the traditional saNyAsAshrama when my parama
guruji himself was an orthodox saNyAsi to the core!!  But at the same time
I donot want to be part with those who declare : there is no possibility
of mukti without formal saNyAsa.

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

If there were really no strong correlation between jnAna and/or jnAna
nishThA and saMnyAsa, then why does anybody need the formal institution of
renunciation in the first place? Why should there even be a vidhi in the
SAstra regarding saMnyAsa? On whom is that vidhi actually operable? Why
should Sankara bhagavatpAda club saMnyAsa along with the qualities of
Sama, dama etc in the bRhadAraNyaka bhAshya?

bhaskar :

prabhuji, I am afraid, you are missing the very purpose of this
discussion...Nowhere I tried to belittle the saNyAsa, nowhere I tried to
devalue the jnAna nishTha in saNyAsa Ashrama...My ONLY contention is after
dawn of jnAna saNyAsa is NOT A MANDATORY VIDHI and it is left to
prArabhdha karma of that jnAni due to which one may continue to do karma
like janaka or one may retire to forest for vidvat saNyAsa like
yAjnAvalkya...

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar