[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (was Re: Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Oct 15 03:11:52 CDT 2009

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare krishna

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

Bhaskar, I have been following this debate to the best of my ability and
time constraints, but can you point out to me one person/post where
AtmajnAna is declared to be the sole property of the ASrama called
sannyAsa?

bhaskar :

you might have not read the ongoing series both here and in advaitin
list!!  where it is repeatedly said jeevan mukti is something different
from Atma jnAna & for jeevan mukti there should invariably be jnAna +
saNyAsa...and slogans like : "The institution of sannyasa, as a ashrama,
thus becomes both sacrosanct and indispensable for a Self-Knower".
This indispensability is what I am debating here...Hope it is clear to you
now.

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

What do you mean by the above? jnAna does not come from karma, but karma
yoga involving karmaphala sannyAsa = jnAna nishThA? How?

bhaskar :

here karmaphala tyAga rUpa saNyAsa is nothing but ahaMkAra tyAga, karma
phala tyAga, samatva buddhi and IshwarArpaNa...as explained by shankara in
geeta verses like sukha dukhe same krutva, siddhyasiddhO samO bhUtvA,
samtvaM sarva bhuteshu etc. and  for those who follow this krishna himself
assures saMsiddhi, janma bandha vinirmuktatva and ofcourse ultimately
blissful everlasting state (padaM gacchantyanAmayaM). If you think jnAna
nishThA state & jnAna phala is something different from this kindly let me
know.

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

Again, don't you think you are breaking down a strawman here?

bhaskar :

prabhuji, IMHO, if you read the series on 'jnAna + saNyAsa = jeevanmukti'
carefully, you will come to know how this strawman has been erected
through some selective quotes from shankara bhAshya !!

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar