[Advaita-l] Disccussion on Free-will

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Wed May 20 09:31:39 CDT 2009

Pranams!

I would like to draw your attention to the following article attributed to
Sri Ramana Maharshi.

http://www.hinduism.co.za/karma&.htm

In particular, see the following snippet:

*Question*: I can understand that the outstanding events in a man’s life,
such as his country, nationality, family, career or profession, marriage,
death, etc., are all predestined by his Karma, but can it be that all the
details of his life, down to the minutest, have already been determined?
Now, for instance, I put this fan that is in my hand down on the floor here.
Can it be that it was already decided that on such and such a day, at such
and such an hour, I should move the fan like this and put it down here?

*Sri Ramana Maharshi*: Certainly. Whatever this body is to do and whatever
experiences it is to pass through was already decided when it came into
existence.

As per my reading, it advocates determinism making free will an illusion.

Thanks, Mahesh