[Advaita-l] On Sadasadvilakshana-An Ontological gap?

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 18 17:17:09 CDT 2009

Dear Sri Srikanta,
It is a month to the date since you posted your query. It seems to me thatProf. Srinivasa Rao has wrestled with sad-asad-vilakshaNatva for a very longtime now! When I first met him fifteen years ago at one of the VedantaCongresses organized by Prof Rama Rao Pappu, he gave a talk on this topic.When I met him again two years ago at another Vedanta Congress, he againtalked about the same topic.
I remember asking him whether sad-asad-vilakshaNa is not just a maturephilosopher's way of describing what the taittirIyopanishat poetically describesas "satyaM cAnRtaM ca satyam abhavat" and whether all the difficulties oftying it up logically are precisely nothing more than the duality that we have tosee beyond, in order to glimpse non-duality. I didn't get any response beyonda comment that anRtaM is not asat. I did not want to prolong a Q&A sessionby further pointing out that the same upanishat does say "asad vA idam agraAsIt - tato vai sad ajAyata" in the very next breath!
Best regards,Vidyasankar