[Advaita-l] Tradition not found in praatiSaakhyas (was Re: SRI SUKTAM - Meaning)

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 00:00:45 CST 2009

________________________________

From: Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian <rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com>

Very true, sir. One such is the pronounciation of the samyuktaakshara of 'ha' combined with 'Na', 'na' and 'ma' - these are pronounced with the order of consonants reversed. Example: brahma is actually pronounced as bramha; similarly with vahni (pronounced vanhi) and grihNantu (pronounced griNhantu).

I tried to search as to why this is so, but could not find the relevant rules - in ordinary grammar, quite a few Sikshas, or the taittireeya praatiSaakhya. One curious thing, I did find though, is that a certain Krishnananda Ashrama in Hyderabad (who have released an audio of all the slokas in the Bhagavadgita with translation, have produced Telugu translations of most of the prakarana granthas of Sri Sankara, and have published a book on Sanskrit Grammar) actually pronounce brahma as it is, without the reversal of the order of the consonants.

If some list member knows why this reversal happens, would be thankful.

Regards
SenaniBTW, apart from the case of the svarita, there are a whole number of
artifacts in traditional chanting either not found in the prAtishAkhya
texts, or are outright contradicted by them.

Rama