[Advaita-l] concentration

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 19:44:15 CST 2009

Dear Sadanadaji and Bhadraiahji,

There is still another method as described by Sri Aurobindo. Thoughts float around you. Observe and do not accept the first thought that approaches you . You will find that the thought will go away. Then another thought will come but do not react and this thought too will go away. Continue this practice till you have control over thought. Sri aurobindo isolated himself completely for three days (including nights) without talking to anybody and could control this thought rejection and thus he attained the ability to control the mind.

One should also consider the pre-requisites Patanjali prescibed before one practises  concentration. These are Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama and Pratyahar. This means one should observe the codes of personal and societal rules and regulations, do the yogic asana practices, do the breath control exercises and  shun the desire have what belongs to others, for success in developing concentration.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya