[Advaita-l] Conference on that Date of Adi Sankaracharya inOctober, 2002

Ravisankar Mayavaram abhayambika at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 11:02:50 CST 2009

This is a sensitive topic.  Post by Satish Arigela goes overboard. As a
moderator, I request Satish avoid posting such messages.

I do not know how many times this topic will be repeated on the list.
Knowing well that there will no resolution for this on the list, I would
request members to tread this topic with compassion and if possible
altogether avoid it.

Even though there may not be a public resolution for this issue unless the
seers of Sringeri and Kanchi come together on an agreement -- individuals
can resolve this one way or other for themselves.  That way your peace of
mind will not be lost and you can pursue the more important issue of how to
overcome avidya.

To help this in this regard, ask yourself these questions - these may help:

 Is it necessary to get a resolution on Sankara's date  for being a  smarta,
prepare yourself to study vedanta, and attain mukti ?

Or is this issue (date of Sankara) affect the quality of work contributed by
post-Sankaran advaitins?

Do you yourself know your family line clearly for 5+ generations before
you?

I will benefit of doubt to our aachaarya-s as their focus was more on
vedaanta and not on chronological accuracy.

My suggestion is resolve this for yourself and do not get agitated over it.
More importantly, when this topic comes back again and again - learn well to
locate the delete button even with eyes closed :-)

With best wishes,
Ravi

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Sunil Bhattacharjya <
sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Do you think the Mathadhipatiis of the Sringeri Math lied when that Math
> said earlier that Adi Sankaracharya was born in 44 BCE? So beware of casting
> aspersions on scholars without adequate knowledge. What according to you is
> the correct date of Adi Sankaracharya and what evidences do you adduce to
> prove that?

Ravi