[Advaita-l] Fw: RE: Query [continued]

Suresh Marur suresh.marur at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 23:23:01 CST 2009

Question: "question if I am Brahman, then who is controlling my birth,
death, this
world, life, and infinite no. of activities that are happening?
And suppose we assume that I am Brahman, then By etymology I am
 Greatest. So am I controlling everything?"

My attempt for an answer:
The question is flawed from a Vedantic perspective. When the Shruti states,
"Aham Brahma Asmi", it is stating that the Aham which is "Sat Chit Ananda",
the core of your being is non-different from Brahman (that tat). We in our
ignorance super impose on the real "I" our mind, body, intellect (BMI) and
then ask the question -- does that mean that I (in this context the ego)
control everything"?

The whole process of Vedanta is to remove these superimpositions that is the
nature of Maya. Any understanding that does not conform to the Shruti must
come from our own ignorance, implying further sadhana and purification of
the mind. This comes from Shraddha and if we were to reject Vedanta because
it does not fit "my understanding", then the search ends there for the
individual.

The key is to refine our understanding so that ALL the Brahma vakyas make
consistent sense to us. Hence, we ought to be able to reconcile all the
statements, "Tat Tvam Asi", "Pragyanam Brahma", "Brahman Satyam, Jagat
Mithya, Brahmo Jeevaiva na parah" and "Aham Brahman Asmi". All contemplation
will lead us back to one of these Brahmaa vakyas...

Shri Sadananda has been writing wonderful articles in this mailist list
(titled "Perspectives") which are incredibly concise and is a great benefit
to any sadhaka who is committed to the Vedantic teaching. So starting
another thread to me seems redundant. We are better off critiquing his
commentaries and evaluate and debate our own understanding in that context.

Hope this helps.

Hari Om.

- Suresh