[Advaita-l] Sureshvaracharya

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 31 00:48:39 CDT 2009

Dear Vidyasanakarji,

I have not come across any original Digvijaya texts with claim related to Adi Sankaracharya's establishing the  Dashanami tradition. The Samadhi-sthal in the Himalayas may be that of a later-day Sankaracharya, unless the original Digvijaya texts confirm that Adi Sankaracharya indeed established that tradition. My feeling is that we should rely more on the records of the four main Mathas and that of the Kanchi Kamakoti Matha than on those of the Dashanami tradition. Secondly who was the commentator of the 17th commentary to Sringeri Matha's Guruvamsakavya, whose views on Adi Sankaracharya's Samadhi have not been given any merit by the Sringeri Math?

Similarly regarding the case of the Samadhi of Sureshvaracharya we have to go by the same standard and give more credence to the official views of the Kanchi Kamakoti Math. If the Kanchi Kamakoti Math does not recognise the views of Sushmaa then these  views of Sushamaa too do not deserve any merit. But one thing appears to be common that the Kanchi Kamakoti Math as well as the writer of Sushamaa agree that Sureshvaracharya did visit the Kanchi Kamakoti Math, thus establishing the link between the Kanchi Kamakoti math and the Sringeri Math undisputably. Sureshvaracharya obviously did not die in Sringeri as, to my understanding, his Samadhi has not been located in Sringeri, as per Sringeri record. Moreover Gaudapadacharya wrote books on Sreevidya and Adi Sankaracharya also wrote the bhashya on the Laita Trishati, a book of Tantric (Samayachara) tradition. I understand that accorsing to purana one takes to Sreevidya towards the end of the life-cycle and
 if this is so it is no wonder if Adi Sanakaracharya went to Kanchi the well-acknowledged seat of Mothet Kamakshi, also called Shodashi or Tripurasundari and preferred to leave his mortal frame there.

I find a couple of other things interesting in this discussion and probably they deserve some consideration. Firstly the Murti of Mother Sarada in Kudali-Sringeri is made of wood and it is said to be the original one made by Adi Sankaracharya. The Murti of Mother Sarada in Sringeri is made of Gold and obviously Adi Sankaracharya could not have made it at that time. It must have been made and installed with  the Vijayanagar royal fund at a later date. The Virupaksha temple, founded by Vidyaranya Swami, also has the Murti of  Mother Sarada, made in gold..  Moreover there is said to be a belief that only one day in a year Mother Sarada leaves  the Kudali-Sringeri temple to visit the Sringeri temple. Does it imply that Vidyasankara Swami or his deputy shifted from Kudali-Sringeri to Sringeri during the time of the attack of the Muslim general. This however becomes mysterious as Vidyasankara Swami's Samadhi is neither in Kudali-sringeri nor in Sringeri.
 May be he passed away during his escape for the Muslim attackers and in that turmoil his body could not be found anywhere. The story prevalent in Sringeri is that he went to a room to meditate for three years and when his long medittaion was over the door of the room was opened and his body vanished from there. As regards the difference in the names of Sringeri and Kudali-Sringeri I understand that Kudali in the Kannada language means "by the confluence", meaning the "Sringeri at the confluence" (of Tunga and Bhadra)'

My interest is not to enter into the rival claims of the Mathas and the diverse opinions of the holy peronalities. But the truth can be only one and the Samadhis of the great acharya's can tell us a lot in a very simple way regarding the authentic history of the Maths. During this age of science so many non-invasive scientific tools are available that invesigations have become easier as never before.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya