[Advaita-l] tamoguna

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:47:32 CDT 2009

Namaste Dr. Yadu,

Thanks for etymology for asura. To me it confirms my inclination about that word. They are free-for-all enjoyers at the expense of everything else. On the contrary rakshas may be too restrictive. (Not to digress, who are suras, considering sura is also a drink?)

Dear Shri Michael,

Rajas and tamas do get a daivi status on the authority of Gita itself for a different reason, even though this possibility is contradicted verbally by Gita 14 & 17. Why is the first chapter of Gita named Arjuna VishAda Yoga? How does vishAda qualify as yoga? If you grieve for right reasons that is still daivi rajas. Arjuna's ignorance about mukti etc is daivi tamas. Not grieving for the dead or for people to be killed due to somebody being intolerant and cold-blooded doesn't qualify for nirguna.

Regards

Bhadraiah