[Advaita-l] tamoguna

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Apr 12 09:11:32 CDT 2009

Shri Sadananda,

Thank you for your response.

Western misunderstandings are one thing; but there appears to have grown up
in India, teachings around this subject which  have a certain practicality.
I was wondering whether there were any texts subsequent to the Gita, on the
lines I mentioned. They may well spring from a putting together of Chapters
14 and 17..

One 'development' is as I have described -- daivi and aasuri aspects of the
guna. The 'demonic' aspect of sattyva is hinted at in Chapter 14 : the
danger of sattwa as pure knowledge, relapsing into a desire for happiness --
which may be termed kashaya by some; a purer form of 'passion' like, say,
righteous anger; and a sense of measure in the tamoguna.

The other 'accretion' is the statement that there are three 'loka' affecting
the balance  or imbalance of the guna : universal; local; and personal (e.g.
a very 'passionate' man choosing to meditate in a temple rather than a
crossroads in Delhi; and at dawn or dusk for preference..)

I don't wish to push these 'accretions' -- experience proves them true or
untrue; I merely wondered whether there are any Advaitic/Vedantic texts
subsequent to the Gita which give authority to such concepts.

Michael