[Advaita-l] sAdhana and SraddhA: VivekachUDAmaNi-bhAshhya

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 7 12:03:20 CDT 2009

Shri Kartik Jayanarayanan,

Doesn't Nachiketa's example prove that the sequence Shraddha-->sadhana is also correct?

We do not have a history how Nachiketa got his teaching. It was probably his own father who taught him,

but he took the teaching more seriously than his father himself. After getting the word to proceed to Yama,

he starts his sadhana, walking all the way to yamaloka, and staying at Yama's door without food for three days.

Then Yama comes down to feed him and grant him knowledge.

As two shishtacharas are in conflict we might have to decide that there is no sequence at all.

We need not take western acharas seriously, because questioning is not allowed there.

If at all answers are given, that would be based on a grand-narrative which is pre-defined and unquestionable.

One upanishat praised the combination of great guru and intelligent shishya (who asks good questions).

Nothing that guru teaches would be accepted by shishya without discussion, unless it was speculations

of guru for which guru himself does'nt have an answer because he himself is researching that.

The idea is to push to the limits when you learn. If we don't ask questions in 10 generations

we end up with 10% of original knowledge.

Regards

Bhadraiah