[Advaita-l] Meditation (dhyAna), knowledge (jnAna) etc. in Sankara's advaita

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 12:59:49 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Sundaresan, Vidyasankar (GE Infra,
Water) <vidyasankar.sundaresan at ge.com> wrote:

> Bhaskar, I appreciate the idea that you want to go back to the
> original bhAshya-s to understand advaita-tattva. However, I think

Vidya, I know what you are trying to say.

But really, I would go the other direction and strongly disagree that
we can "go back" to the original bhAShyas without the sub-commentaries
approved by the tradition. A whole bunch of people are floating around
claiming to have "discovered" the true Sankara by picking up and
reading books by themselves. This is quite laughable, to say the
least. This is not physics or mathematics to "discover" stuff without
guidance from a qualified guru. I know very well that's not what *you*
think, but many here seem to think otherwise.

Rama