[Advaita-l] aruna prasna

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Jun 11 23:56:43 CDT 2008

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008, narayan iyer wrote:

> Pranams,
>
> A week ago I had poated a query.  Why is it that a few mantras are
> repeated in Aruna prasna?  Can any member elucidate.

I am a shuklayajurvedi myself so unfortunately I can't give you a definite
answer but based on similiar passages I would say it is because in the
shrauta vidhi associated with that passage there is a repetition of some
action.  I suggest you look at the bhashya of sayanacharya or
bhattabhaskara etc. for details.

> While on the same subject, many a times affirmations like "Ya Evam vEda"
> are used in the mantras.  What the idea behind it?.

Typically in these cases veda is being used in a more restrictive sense of
"secret knowledge" or "inner meaning" of course it is all veda in the
sense of shruti.