[Advaita-l] nitya karma and job

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Jun 5 00:19:58 CDT 2008

[was Re: [Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 61, Issue 27]

Please use descriptive titles.

On Wed, 28 May 2008, pravin tewari wrote:

> Hari Om! I would like to know under which catagory "the job/ employment"
> comes? nitya, namittik karma????

Possibly one, both, or neither.

Until recently most people had a hereditary occupation but even in the
"good old days" this was not hard and fast.  One should look to the
historical practices of ones ancestors to see what they regarded as
obligatory and what they were flexible about.  For instance, my surname
indicates  a kathakara (of Bhagavata, Ramayana etc.)  However for atleast
the last century or more, the Vyas family have been schoolteachers or
minor bureaucrats.  Yet they were always careful to keep up practices such
as sandhyavandana, shravana masa shiva puja etc.  So I would conclude that
the latter items are what I should follow as nitya naimittika karma not
the former.  (Though as a matter of fact I have publically said
bhagavata katha.)