[Advaita-l] Fw :Pourakutsa gotra abhivadya

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 03:01:45 CDT 2008

2008/8/20 Amuthan <aparyap at gmail.com>:
>> Perhaps the SaThamarShaNa Gotra is also another name for the Paurukutsa Gotra?
>
> I'm also a little curious to know if this is true :)

The correct ITRANS, to my knowledge, is ShaDmarShaNa and not SaThamarShaNa.

trasadasyu, who figures in the pravara list of this gotra, was an
ikShvAku king and purukutsa was his son. The ShaDmarShaNa gotra
represents descendants of trasadasyu who were absorbed into the
A~Ngirasa clan of brAhmaNa-s through marriage, hence they are
categorized as "kevala A~Ngirasa".

Therefore, my understanding is that paurukutsa and ShaDmarShaNa
represent the same gotra.