[Advaita-l] AchArya on the Objects of the Waking State(B.S.II.2.29)

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Sep 1 17:08:24 CDT 2007

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007, sriram wrote:

> Dear Sri Vyas
> You have said maya is more appropriate to be called as delusion rathr than
> illusion.But I think maya has no equivalent in english vocabulary.

You are right.

> Adi Shankara is the one to use this word maya -ma =not and ya=there for the
> first time to indicate that our human value system is very wrong and because
> of this only we  humans find it difficult to cross this ocean of samsara.The
> Bhaja Govindam gives  many examples of maya and avidhya is its
> foundation.Ofcourse for English only knowing people we have to give some
> near meaning words

Yes this is all I meant by that statement.  Translation is more of an art
than a science and delusion is not perfect but atleast nearer than illusion.

  but then their perception of maya may be totally
> different as Advaitins are labelled as mayavadins.

Well the term "mayavadi" is more used by people trying to score debate
points instead of lovers of truth so I don't think we should care too much
about it.