[Advaita-l] Fwd: SSS, avidyA, shrI Ramakrishnan

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Mon May 28 12:36:00 CDT 2007

--- S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> > AH prabhuji:
> >
> > Do you not think we should listen to HH Bharati Tirtha, who
> > is the Guru of even your Guru Vidyasankar, who advises us that
> all
> > of the
> > AchAryas in Shankara's sampradAya have unanimously supported
> > Shankara's
> > central teachings, have not caused damage to the central
> principles
> > of
> > advaita, and that studying the later AchAryas' works is only
> > beneficial to
> > us? I may add that if we do not study the works of later AchAryas
> > it will
> > only be a loss to us.
> >
> > bhaskar :
> >
> > Nobody denying it prabhuji..let us respect our guru paraMpara,
> let
> > us
> > respect our advaita tradition, let us adopt our Achraya's
> > hitOpadEsha/
> > dharmOpadEsha, let us do pAda sEva with wholehearted devotion..
> > But. at the
> > same time, let us accept the fact that it is not an unpardonable
> > sin to
> > verify how these vyakhyAna-s are true to the mUla bhAshya.
> >

> Actually, I would dispute that -- in the Vedic tradition, it is
> indeed an unpardonable sin to argue against one's Guru's teachings
> after accepting the Guru as an authority and learning respectfully
> from him.

I would modify the above statement as:

"In the Vedic tradition, it is indeed an unpardonable sin to argue
against ***the core of*** one's Guru's teachings after accepting the
Guru as an authority and learning respectfully from him."

As a matter of fact, Sureshvara has argued against some specific
points in Sankara's teachings (with relevant quotes from
Sruti/Smriti), but never against the Guru's core teachings. OTOH, SSS
has dismissed the very core of practically the entire post-Sankaran
tradition as nonsense, so there's a gulf of difference between the
two.

This is significant, because SSS himself derives his lineage to
Sankara from the post-Sankaran Gurus!