[Advaita-l] Sri N.Murthy's comments on the qualities of a sishya and the role of the Guru as per vivekachudamani

srikanta at nie.ac.in srikanta at nie.ac.in
Wed Mar 21 04:59:33 CDT 2007

I read with interest the various background the sishya must have in the
study of mimamsa(uttaramimamsa)under a Guru.It is true that one must have
these prerequisites.What I meant that the sishya must have an an open mind
is that he must have a "shodaka"(examining capacity) of all positions.That
is the way Sankara has done in his bhashyas.He has examined the various
views of other schools before refuting them and stating the
siddhanta.There is "Bodhaka Guru"who teaches and "shodaka and prachodaka
Guru"who is within.It is not that arguments and counterarguments will lead
one no where,because in Shankara bhashyas we say various arguments which
end as "ceth"and another view which end again as "cheth"just like a
subroutine within a subroutine.Shankara has analysed them meticulously in
his bhashyas,just like in  a technological paper.
Thanking you,           Hari Om tat Sat.              N.Srikanta.