[Advaita-l] Re: on advaita and society

Shyam shyam_md at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 17:49:39 CST 2007

Pranams
Knowledge of advaita has little to do with going in
and out of experiential states.Doubtless knowledge of
the truth about mySelf, being nonseparate from the
Whole, is what is the advaitic truth. This truth once
firmly understood requires no "practice".

Realization of this truth is of course not had
secondary to obstacles primarily resulting from
unpreparedness of the mind.
If immediate knowledge is not gained by a mere hearing
of the vedantic truths, then one must resort to
dwelling upon these truths, until clarity of the
knowledge crystallizes. (This can often times take
years or even lifetimes.)

In this, e-groups and interactions with like-minded
mumukshus or seekers, (e-satsang) can play an
important role. Known doubts can be re-clarified and
unknown doubts can surface and find resolutions in
many cases.
In any event, for a sincere seeker, such groups should
never be the primary means of learning vedanta -
surrender and service to a Guru is a must. At the same
time they do have a important role to play.

Yes it is true that only one in a million may arrive
at this truth, but Bhagwan Krishna's words are not
meant to make one diffident! - to the contrary, it
underscores how rare an opportunity a vedanta student
is presented with, where after crores of janmas - a
human birth, exposure to the teaching and the means to
the truth - these are all aligned - the only thing
missing is a sincere and intense desire for knowledge
and self-effort(born of free-will) of the highest
order - these two in themselves assure you in due time
the Grace of shastra, Guru and Ishwara - which in turn
result in jivanmukti.

Asato ma sat gamaya.

Hari OM
Shri Gurubhyo namah