[Advaita-l] Reconciling current research with Advaitic theory of mind

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 21:22:20 CST 2007

The article in TIME touches upon issues that have been debated for a
long time in Western philosophy, but brought to prominence in 1995,
with the publication of the paper by David Chalmers "Facing Up to the
Problem of Consciousness" in the Journal of Consciousness Studies (
http://www.imprint.co.uk/chalmers.html ).

The crux of the debate on Consciousness today is the division of the
problem into two by David Chalmers (which is quoted by the TIME
article):

Easy Problem:
  What are the neural correlates of Consciousness?
  Can be studied by science.

Hard Problem:
  Why should neural function give rise to experience?
  Cannot be studied by science.

There is hardly a doubt that Chalmers has hit the nail on the head
with the above division. For sometime, scientists began to deny that
there was any such thing called a "Hard Problem of Consciousness",
(which is exactly what Francis Crick is trying to do in the article),
but that route is getting difficult with the arguments against this
position becoming stronger everyday. Every one of the so-called
"solutions" to Consciousess proposed by the scientists are to the
Easy problem. As Chalmers says in his 1995 article -- "The Hard
Problem remains untouched" -- which is still relevant today.

Rest assured that every one of the objections raised against
Consciousness by the materialists have answers in Sankara's Brahma
Sutra Bhashya 3.3.54. I will try to post on these topics soon. It is
unfortunately too difficult to explain in one posting.

Regards,
Kartik