[Advaita-l] Discussion on concept of soul

srikanta at nie.ac.in srikanta at nie.ac.in
Wed Aug 29 00:38:03 CDT 2007

However one may speculate it is not possible to theorise about the
soul.The western concept is based on materialistic basis just as Hegel and
Scaupenhauer theorise.It was Hegel who pointed out that there is
conciousness apart from matter.We have also different theories,just as
Acharya Gaudapada says in his Karikas'Svasiddhanta vyavasthasu dvaitino
niscita drdam".It has not become possible in the scientific world of
"Artificial intelligence" to introduce the "I" sense which is the basis of
all feelings into matter.Again"it is not possible to artificially
introduce "thought".It would also be wrong to deny the reality of the
World,at the "Vyavaharic"(empirical level").The sruthi says"Anena jivena
atmana anupravisya nama rupam vyakaravani"The sruthis and Shankara point
out that there is "satyasya satyam",a greater truth beyond the "vyavaharic
level".The Upanishads say"Yatho vacho nivartante aprapya manasa saha"(the
word turns away not being grasped by even the mind.
                                                        N.Srikanta.