[Advaita-l] Some rebellious remarks on Sri SSS

Ravisankar Mayavaram abhayambika at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 11:39:55 CDT 2007

namaste Bhaskar,

( I am sending this note as one of the moderators)

* If someone clarified or claimed something  to you in private and if
they  are not willing to post that to the list -- then it is an issue
you have to resolve  with him/her  in private.  There is no point
getting frustrated about that on the list.

*  As per the rules for (his participation in the) discussion, Rama
clearly states that "8. If you don't follow the rules above, don't
expect me to reply". This means you can post in the way or order you
want [but it should meet the general list guidelines], but do not
expect Rama to reply.

* Please do not include images, it will be removed by the filter. We
do not allow non-text content.

* Language you choose to use  it reflects your own quality. So the
tone you use is your choice (as long as it is within  list tolerance
policy). Key is to write it in a way readers can easily understand.
You may write a rebuttal of the paper and present it to the list.   As
I stated above, do not expect a reply.  You can disagree with someone
on factual basis and that will be a stronger rebuttal than calling
names  such as "only fools will write like this". In fact, despite
your claim in the footnote, this messages reflects quite poorly on
you, especially considering the fact that  you have set an exemplary
example all these years with  your polite and confident writing style.

* I do not find section 6 offensive or unprintable and not even the
line  "Indeed none of his works are about the philosophy of advaita,
but are oriented almost exclusively towards contradicting previous
commentators of Sankaracarya."  or the assertion  "that he is a
textual analyst and not a philosopher".  It is a view of the author,
you are welcome contradict it factually by quoting passages  from the
works of SSS . If I am not mistaken, even though this is part of the
paper, it was not intended by Rama to be discussed online ==> which
means you can reply, he may or may not respond.

I wish you could have sent your reply to the list moderators.

With best wishes,
Ravi

On 4/24/07, bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> I am waiting, waiting & still waiting to see clarification from the members
> whose name mentioned by the author of Paper on SSS in this list to support
> his baseless claims against Sri SSS, his disciples & other things..But
> unfortunately nothing has come through sofar despite the fact that they
> have clarified their stand via. private mail to me. ....Atleast now I
> humbly request the concerned to comeout with their clarification wherever
> their names mentioned in this list....Needless to mention that the  Section
> 6 of this paper on *comparative bhAshya studies* in  general & fanatic &
> ill advised personal attack on Sri SSS in particular  have simply gone out
> of proportion....I dont think this paper is merely an objective analysis of
> some philosophical stand point of  SSS &  newly invented epistemic & ontic
> nature of avidya...but  seems to me it is an extremist's outcry in an
> effort to uphold his own pet theory....Just for an example, the author of
> *Paper on SSS* blindly says :
> // quote //
>
> (Embedded image moved to file: pic27644.jpg)
> // unquote //
>
> I am afraid, only fools who are completely ignorant to SSS contribution
> towards shankarAdvaita can make statements like this. But it is sad to
> notice that  such remarks have got an entry in this list without being
> questioned by the moderators about its authenticity...
>
> I hereby request the moderators to give clearance to draft my mail in the
> *same tone* as it is written in *paper on SSS*...
>
> By the way, is it permissible to draft reply to Paper on SSS by the one who
> is already following teachings of Sri SSS & have conviction in it ??
> Ofcourse, I am one of the hard core followers of Sri SSS teachings, and
> more importantly I do not have an oscillating mind set to stick to
> something sometime & jump to another some other time especially when it
> comes to shankara's advaita philosophy :-))  Since the author of Paper on
> SSS does not seem to ready to accept replies from followers of SSS, I
> request the moderators to clarify their stand on this RULE...
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar
>
> PS :  I also hereby request moderators to not to think that  this is a
> personal attack on author of Paper on SSS... I am just commenting on
> contents, conjecture & rules in this paper....No intention of any personal
> animosity here...

RaviSankar
<abhayambika at gmail.com>