[Advaita-l] Re: samAdhi -Universe merging into brAhmaN of shruti- is not an Experience

Subramanyam Natarajan Subramanyam.Natarajan at mail.wvu.edu
Fri Sep 22 14:49:30 CDT 2006

Gurubhyo NamaH,

Sorry for adding my two cents after the fact.
I thought this was forthcoming in your arguments Abishekji, but could
not resist pointing out. What I have to add may be viewed
as complementary to already expressed thoughts. I have
also recently read a similar thread in Advaithin list where
this was a raging war for some time.

By way of reiteration of the verses from Taittiriya Upanishad as
earlier pointed out by Shri Abishekji, The subsequent verse in the same sUktham states:
nAnyah panThA vidyathE ayanAya (By no other means shall this be attained ?!)

And as a reiteration of this verse, it is again repeated later in the sUktham as
nAnyah panThA ayanAya vidyathE and this time stressing
(svaritam on "ThA" of PanTha) asthough to ram it into our heads.

Despite, if there are still doubts on this subject (as expressed bypeople
who point out statements of revered Gurus including Adi ShankarAchAryA),
my humble thoughts are that, they needed to be interpreted as:

nirvikalpaka state aids in chittha EkAgrathA which is amongst the very important
prerequisites for knowledge. Further, in such a state of tranquility, the
Knowledge which is by definition in VedAnthic context "Absence of ignorance"
is certain to be yielded. MokshA is attained only when the prArabdhA is exhausted.

Humbly,
Subramanyam

>>> "Abhishek RK" <rkabhi at gmail.com> 9/22/2006 2:29 PM >>>

Namaste,
In "Yoga, Enlightenment and Perfection", Shri Abhinava Vidyatirtha
Mahaswamiji clearly states that his own nirvikalpa samAdhi did not
last for more than a few hours. Also, just "believing" in some
interpretations of a Yogi's experiences certainly is not recommended
in any shAstra. Don't you agree that samAdhi is just a momentary
experience and j~nAna leads to jIvanmuktAvasthA, which is certainly
not momentary? Of course, Ishvara's (or Guru's) grace is a necessary
factor in gaining j~nAna. Sorry if I sound harsh, but just going by
the words of some stories does not help much. Anyway, I am not seeing
that some can not even accept some basics of advaita, so this is my
last post on this thread.

Regards,
Abhishek

--
tasmAttvamuttiShTha yasho labhasva
jitvA shatrUn bhu~NkShva rAjyaM samR^iddham|