[Advaita-l] Re: Pa~nchapAdikAchArya

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 25 13:07:22 CDT 2006

Here is some relevant information. In the book, "lekharatnamAlA-1", a
collection of articles and lectures by Shri V.S. Ramachandra Sastri,
published by Vidyanidhi Foundation, Bangalore, 2003, we find an article
titled "Review of Discussion on Mulavidya", pages 153-169. This article is
actually a report on a discussion that took place on February 24 and 25,
1976 at Shankar Math, Bangalore, in the presence of Shri Abhinava
Vidyatirtha Svaminah and Shri Bharatitirtha Svaminah. The discussion on
mUlAvidyA took place between scholars of the Sampradaya school (PakShins)
and the Karyalaya (VipakShins) and before a panel of arbitrators.

Many points made by the Sampradaya school justify the mUlAvidyA that is
bhAvarUpA and is the upAdAnakAraNa of the entire dvaitaprapaJNcha. Right in
the sUtrabhAShya on tadadhInatvAdarthavat.h, we find "...parameshvarAdhInA
tu iyamasmAbhiH jagataH prAgavasthA abhyupagamyate, na svatantratA| ...
avidyAtmikA hi bIjashaktiH avyaktashabdanirdeshyA parameshvarAshrayA
mAyAmayI mahAsuShuptiH ... avyaktA hi sA mAyA ..." Also, in the vArtika, we
have adhyAsashcha vinA hetuM na loka upapadyate, and asya dvaitendrajAlasya
yadupAdAnakAraNam.h, ajnAnaM tadupAshritya brahma kAraNamuchyate.

Thus, "it became absolutely clear that the Bhavarupa Mulavidya, which is the
primal cause of saMsAra, given expression to and used in Sastric parlance by
mighty men of erudition in the anAdisatsaMpradAya, is entirely in consonance
with the bhAshyas and vArtikas accepted by the Vipakshins."

The verdict by arbitrators: The arbitrators decided in favor of the
sampradAya school, agreeing that in the matter of mUlAvidyA, the cause of
saMsAra as accepted in the advaita sampradAya and made clear in the
prasthanatraya bhAShyas and the vArtikas, the sampradAya view is the right
one.

Anand